Thursday, July 03, 2003

nothing i do right now seems to ease the headache that i started a few hours ago -swearing profusely under breath at stupidstupid wisdom tooth which is causing said headache, along with heat- so this will be brief and irritable.

(1) Tim Henman is losing his quarterfinal to Grosjean, though it has been repeatedly interrupted by the English weather. while impressed by the nimbleness of the rain squad in protecting the courts from being drenched, am less than impressed by Henman's standard of play. cannot help but continue to support him though, because unlike my mother, who only wants to support winners, i pick a side and stick with it. and the spirit the home crowd is showing at Centre Court is amazing.

(2) finally finished A Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami. all i can say is that at the end of every murakami novel i feel like i need a stiff drink -- i think there's a terry pratchett novel in which this line, or some approximation thereof, exists: life makes more sense through the bottom of a glass of alcohol. yeah. same idea. after a bout of Murakami, i think i need some alcohol in my blood to convince me that this world might actually have some sort of meaning. i still love Murakami though.

(3) i came across this in an old journal --eun, it's the purple book, i was rereading it: how were we ever that young? -- :

Miles Away

I want you and you are not here. I pause
in this garden, breathing the colour thought is
before language into still air. Even your name
is a pale ghost and, though I exhale it again
and again, it will not stay with me. Tonight
I make you up, imagine you, your movements clearer
than the words I have you say you said before.

wherever you are now, inside my head you fix me
with a look, standing here whilst cool late light
dissolves into the earth. I have got your mouth wrong
but still it smiles. I hold you closer, miles away.
inventing love, until the calls of the nightjars
interrupt and turn what was to come, was certain
into memory. The stars are filling us for no one.
-- Carol Ann Duffy




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home