Wednesday, August 06, 2003

snippets from a day [maybe my typo-ed version is better: snippets form a day]

...I wear workshirts to the opera
often. I want my feet to be bare,
I want my face to be shaven, and my heart --
you can't plan on the heart, but
the better part of it, my poetry, is open.

-Frank O'hara

*

a precision of language,
words to describe
the slide of summer
from dog-days' slumberous
to apple-crisp fall


*

"Candidates are not supposed actually to discuss issues during a campaign, but to invoke needs and put aspirations in vague language." -Lightning Rod, Garry Wills, The New York Review of Books

*

"The welfare of farm people depends far more on the functioning of labour markets than on the markets for commodities." -D. Gale Johnson, in a luncheon address at the Fed titled Role of Government in the Rural Economy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home