Wednesday, October 27, 2004

there is a new baby in my life

i got the call this morning, while i was stuck in JapPol. so this afternoon, after alex came home from class, i made him drive me to 60th and Kimbark, where we proceeded into the deep dark bowels of the New Graduate Student Housing, and...

picked up my new 12" Powerbook!!!

i'm excited. got her all set up in my room already (typing out this post on her as we figuratively speak), MS Office installed and all requisite messaging programs going strong. i love it already, despite it being heavier than i expected. it's about the same weight, if not slightly heavier, than the iBook (although that is already miles lighter than my Dell brick, which has been almost certainly permanently retired -i probably have to pull some old files off of it soon, but otherwise it is ready to be wiped and donated) but it looks so much cooler. and it's MINE -no sharing with the brother- how sweet is that?

photos, as promised to one Adr, soon. after midterms, when i have had the dinner party i promised mike. :) perhaps i will bake her a cake, if i can come up with a good name. am leaning, as per suggestions, toward a shakespearean name, but have already heard objections to my two favourites: Lady MacBeth, and Ophelia. any other (obscure) suggestions, anyone? -looks plaintively in Gail's direction-

6 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, October 27, 2004, Blogger Tym said...

I suppose the name depends on what kind of device you want her to be: Reliable? Foolproof? Temperamental? Predictable? A solid workhorse or a lively inspiration?

So: Imogen? Hermione? Miranda? Cordelia? (Can you tell I'm partial to the late romances?)

Of course, you could always just go for a 'pretty' name ...

 
At 2:45 PM, October 27, 2004, Blogger A said...

I think Ophelia sounds great. Anyway, as a guy, I picked a sexy female name for both iPod and PB, so assuming the boyfriend doesn't mind, I don't see why you can't name the new toy after some hunky guy.

Like Ethan, Arnold, Jackie, Bruce. Heh. For IMs, do give Proteus a shot. It works great for me. There're plenty of other software options I can suggest you, now that you are full-fledged Mac user. Sidetrack and quicksilver are must-haves, and synergy is useful with iTunes, though there're free alternatives.

Netnewswire is great for news feeds, and then tofu for reading long length essays or articles. I could name a dozen more, but these should suffice. IM me if there's anything, though I'm sure Mac users abound around you, enough for you not to need to resort to my help =)

 
At 12:11 PM, October 28, 2004, Blogger J. said...

i like either Miranda or Portia myself. Portia is a more computer-y sounding name, though...final decision soon! i did seriously consider Ophelia but i think, cool as Ophelia is, that's not really want i want my computer to do (go insane and drown herself, i mean, not fall in love with hamlet)

adr: computers are shes. -firm nod- -grin- not that the boyfriend would mind if named it, say, hugh...but she's a she, that's for sure. will be sure to have a chat with you re: what software is good for the baby after midterms are over and i have time to do more than wordprocess crazily...

 
At 3:42 PM, October 29, 2004, Blogger perception said...

Portia over Miranda and Ophelia. =)

my laptop's a he, which got the SO rather jealous for a while... esp. when I got cold and hugged it (it tends to heat up pretty quickly).

 
At 9:53 PM, October 29, 2004, Blogger J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:59 PM, October 29, 2004, Blogger J. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home