Tuesday, August 02, 2005

a tale of three

item the first: mommy cat and four little kittens living next door. mommy cat is a lovely silvery-white, with tabby markings on her legs and tail. three of the kits look like her; one -the largest of them all- presumably resembles dad, with a white body and grey patches all over. aggressive little bugger, climbing all over sibs to get to mommy. and making lots of noise in the process. the runt is a tiny little darling just precisely the same colour as her (?) lovely mommy, and she got stuck in the drain during the rain earlier (the drain is covered, and she couldn't find her way back to the entrance) necessitating a rescue mission from mother and a good talking-to afterward. i have pictures, but they are blur as a consequence of having been taken from my bedroom window. (i must've looked awfully suspicious leaning out and taking pictures of the neighbour's washing-machine, which is where the kits were hiding. under it, that is.)

item the second: i drove my mom's car today. for a very short distance -just home from the grandpere's home, about a ten minute walk and normally a three minute drive. however my terror of scratching the car made me drive at a pace more suited to an eighty-year-old half-blind lady. (my brother, in the backseat, safely buckled in: jie! you drive like a little old lady! no! even slower!!!! me: shut up! be glad you're not dead yet!) i even managed to get it into our driveway -after a fashion- dad had to adjust it afterward because there is no way mom could have gotten into the car the next day. i had to perform some fairly strenuous acrobatics to get out as it is, and i was wearing shorts and flipflops, not high heels and a suit. but the car is scratch-free and we are all still alive. hoorah.

item the third: today was the MFA open house for us scholars waiting to be deployed. (like missiles! and...erm...NSmen.) not a bad presentation at all. made me rethink my previous opinion on a foreign service job. (no. no no no.) however the same concerns exist -perhaps i'm not too worried about the location of overseas posting per se, but it is still an overseas posting. i'm not too sure i would like to be away from our merry little island for three years at a stretch, esp with that stint beginning in three or four years' time. otherwise it sounds like an awesome job. do you think they will take me in the protocol office? i LOVE protocol.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, August 04, 2005, Blogger Packrat said...

Uncle Owen: "You, I suppose you're programmed for etiquette and protocol."

C-3PO: "Protocol? Why, it's my primary function, sir. I am well-versed in all the customs--"

Uncle Owen: "I have no need for a protocol droid."

C-3PO: "Of course you haven't, sir. Not in an environment such as this. That is why I have been programmed in--"

Uncle Owen: "What I really need is a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators."

C-3PO: "Vaporators? Sir, my first job was programing binary load lifters very similar to your vaporators in most respects."

Uncle Owen: "Can you speak Bocce?"

C-3PO: "Of course I can, sir. It's like a second language to me. I'm a--"

Uncle Owen: "yeah, alright. Shut up. I'll take this one."

C-3PO: "Shutting up, sir."


Make sure that you can speak to moisture vaporators and are fluent in Bocce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home