Tuesday, September 06, 2005

another roasting day

something's seriously wonky with AIM and ICQ tonight, and i can't for the life of me get on. (GoICQ does work, but i've never really liked it...plus my ICQ friends aren't online either anyway. :p) so i'm feeling sort of cut off from the world, a sensation not helped by the fact that i have my curtains drawn closed blocking out the neighbours.

however, i discovered today that i can, indeed, wear cheongsams. after years and years of being convinced i would look horrendous in them, i tried one on this afternoon and discovered that for once my wide hips are worth something. i wound up buying a cheongsam from a shop in Chinatown - a gorgeous green silk sleeveless number. (on the other hand, mom claims the cheongsam i wound up buying makes me look like a waitress in a chinese restaurant.) and they altered it on the spot to boot. it was a full-length cheongsam when i tried it on -it reach my ankles, with a lovely dramatic slit up to above the knee. but i'm sure you'll agree that occasions to wear full length cheongsams (esp in my line of work) are few and far between. so i had it cut to knee length, a much more flexible length in my opinion.

now i cannot put on any weight. in fact, losing a couple of pounds would probably help my ability to sit down in said cheongsam. but it's so pretty!

we also went to the Settlers Cafe at North Canal Road (just next to the Clarke Quay station on the NEL) to play board games after chinatown. geeky, i know. but they have cool board games! like Carcassonne, which i like -and managed to do well in today-, and Munchkins, which we didn't get to play -it sounds complicated, but it has terribly quirky cards! i want to try next time. but people need to go play with me. :)

my biggest accomplishment today, however, was figuring out bus routes to train stations from work, and working out the driving route from my place to my brother's camp to the office. it's a long drive, let me tell you. but it's an even longer ride home. it's looking like bus-MRT-bus-walk...at least 1.5 hours. -groan- hopefully i'll be able to drive...wish me luck.

4 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, September 07, 2005, Blogger Tym said...

When do you start work?

Munchkin is only fun (and funny) for people who already have excessive experience with D&D and the like. Packrat and my husband, for instance.

Is there a special occasion for which the cheongsam was purchased? :)

 
At 8:40 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger J. said...

still don't know when i start work! tentatively the 12th, but no details have been confirmed and i've signed no contract, so in reality, who knows. :p

i really like the Munchkin cards...but alex tells me that it gets rather complicated as the game progresses. he played it over the weekend. so maybe i'll have to work up to it.

no special occasion for the cheongsam - i just liked it. :) now to find an Occasion...

 
At 12:43 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger perception said...

there's a settlers cafe in Holland V too. =)

 
At 7:24 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger J. said...

p: yup, i know :) but it's easier for me to get to clarke quay than holland v. NEL! gotta love the train system (sometimes).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home